Tuesday, December 05, 2006

WORLD OF BORECRAFT

Last year friends and critics, were ranting and raving on how awesome World of Warcraft was, so I picked up a copy and immediately got sucked into the world. I chose to play an Undead warlock named Iggy Dread. I made it to the 20th or so level when I finally realized how stupid and boring the game was. If you are unfamiliar with the game, it's a massive multiplaer online role-playing game (MMORPG), where, according to Wikipedia, "...players control a character avatar within a persistent gameworld, exploring the landscape, fighting monsters and performing quests on behalf of computer-controlled characters. The game rewards success through money, items and experience which allow players' characters to improve in skill and power. In addition, players may opt to take part in battles against other players, including both duels and fights against player characters allied with an enemy faction..."

Here's my version:
You run and run and run to various places on a map. When you finally get there, you fight and fight and fight and most likely, your character dies. When this happens, your character, is sent back to where you basically started and as a ghost, you have to run and run and run all the way back to where your "physical" remains lay in a heap. Once resurrected, you fight and fight and die and run and fight until you finish that mission. Once that mission is complete, you run and run and run all the way back to the point where you started and collect some money or an item. Lots of running. Lots and lots of running.

When I got into fights, I usually ended up doing the same spells or tactics; in other words, pushed the same buttons each time, every time. So you run and run and run, and then push the same buttons, and then run and run and run. BORRRRRRRRING! I can't believe I lasted as long as I did. I guess I was in a state of denial. The game sucked so bad that I started to find new ways of entertaining myself--bugging people. I swear I had more fun doing this in the one hour than all the weeks of playing the actual game combined.

No comments: