Thursday, April 16, 2009

SOME NEW BANDS!

Gio Corsi and Mike Ferraro submitted some CD covers a few weeks ago and due to the fact that I'm somewhat of a doofus and extremely busy with a million other things, I'm only now getting the opportunity to show off their goods. Gentlemen, I do apologize for not posting your works earlier.

Gio Corsi turned me onto Imperious Mare's Diverse Flora & Fauna. This CD has just sold over 100 cds on their first tour of the maritime provinces. If you're not familiar with Imperious Mare, I'm not surprised. This Nova Scotian experimental prog-rock group is comprised of 5 teachers (Math, English, Drafting, Biology and Drama) from Gaetz Brook Junior High. Students liken the music to "weird old stuff." I found it reminicent of your typical late 70's early 80's prog rock bands Neu!, Tangerine Dream, Can, early Genesis, Faust and dare I even say Gentle Giant. Considering that the cd only has 1 song on it (72 minutes in length) I found it a challenge to listen to it.




Mike Ferraro threw down a whole shwack-load of new albums for me to review. Debating Society's Something Always Happens didn't turn my crank whatsoever. It sounded like they wanted to be Motley Crew and Radiohead doing Cure songs. Not good. Early Morning Migration's Someone Elses Advice wasn't too bad actually. Reminded me of Sloan (another Nova Scotian band!) and The Carpenters doing Sonic Youth songs. I listened to Sweden & The Euro's new recording last night in bed and the atmospheric ambient electronica
promptly sent me off on a one-way ticket to Dreamland. It wasn't a deep sleep though as I could hear the music lulling through my brain. I was so relaxed that at one point I actually wet the bed. Normally when I do this, I get up and change the sheets and p. jammies but the music was sooooo rich and soothing I didn't want to move. Speaking of moving, I have just been evicted from my little apartment and I'm selling a few things. Anyone need a futon?

Finally we have Shrink Film You're Making Too Much Money. BOOOOOORRING. It's like a Bad Religion album. At first I'm like "Hey this is a pretty decent punk song." Then I'm like, "Is this the same song? I think this is the same song that fills up their other 14 albums."
Then I'm like, "I need a beer." And then another voice chimes in "You always need a beer." That's why I get along with myself so good.

1 comment:

Ferraro said...

I thought Debating Society wasn't bad for three high-school kids. Raw, formless Noise Rock. You can only get that album at shows, a burned CD. I think their drummer did the cover, using stock Windows fonts.

Though their cover makes me laugh, I can't stand Shrink Film. Terrible example of late 90s pop/punk pablum that was the real reason the music industry was going down, not Napster. The title of this album was actually a slag against Metallica, but ironically, they secretly all blamed file sharing when their album sales were terrible.