Tuesday, March 27, 2007

ON-GOING HISTORY OF NEW MUSIC

This syndicated radio show (from Toronto's CFNY.FM) is the longest running music documentary series in Canada and one of the longest in North America. It's hosted by Alan Cross and it's quite riveting. This guy knows his stuff. Somehow he unearths the most incredible dirt on pretty much any and every bit of the music industry. I dare you to listen to one of his shows and not say "Huh, well aint that the bee's knees." Even when I hate a band (Red Hot Chili Peppers) I'll listen and be absolutely amazed. Don't get me wrong, I won't end up having any new-found respect for them, but it's a fascinating listen. Right now, as I write, I'm listening to Alan Cross talk about rock and roll hair-styles and I'm enthralled. Engrossed if you will. The great thing about the on-line version of the show is that you can skip past the crappy songs (read: Red Hot Chili Peppers) and get back to the topic at hand. The only downside to this show is its opening intros (kinda like little skits). Don't let these 30 second intros turn you off. Again, listen to one show and you'll be hooked. Alan Cross is very good. You can listen to past shows here. Now, if you don't mind, I'm going to learn more about Flock Of Seagulls' hair (did you know that two of the band members were hair stylists!? It's all making sense now).

No comments: