Thursday, December 07, 2006

FINISHED!!!


I just finished the internet! What an amazing, just incredible read--from start to finish. If you get a chance, you should really pick this up and give it a read, however I must warn you, there are just a few things you should know before you get started on this EPIC! (MINOR SPOILER ALERT!!!)

1. It's a long read. I started reading in 1996ish and just finished up last night.

2. Ads. Though considered "a masterpiece," the internet, unlike the other famous classics, has many advertisements and "pop-ups" throughout. These pop-ups were very annoying at first, but by the end of the 178,639th chapter, I was actually finding them rather amusing and now, I wouldn't want the internet any other way!

3. The plot twist near the end came out of left field, blew my socks into orbit and threw my head into a tizzy. I DID NOT SEE THAT COMING! It'll shock you and maybe even amuse you. You're either going to love it or hate it.

4. Don't try and download the internet and then print it out on paper to read. This will not be efficient at all. You will just have to get used to reading the internet via monitor (or in my case monitors!).

5. Finally, the internet's not for everyone, as its narrative is disjointed and all over the place -- kind of like a Burroughs' novel or his stupid cut-ups. Though I enjoyed it (for the most part), I couldn't for the life of me, figure out who the hero was?!

I give the internet 7.5 out of 10 with a condition that the sequel must have a bigger role for a hero character or something.

No comments: