Thursday, February 07, 2008

CAN WE TALK AMBROSIA APPLES FOR A SEC?


I'm at home sick today and I've been meaning to get to this post for a while so I finally have a moment to talk about Ambrosia apples.

If you're anything like me, you'll like a good apple. But I hate most apples. Some are too soft and mushy, some are too fucking tart, some have worms in them and some are hit & miss, like the Gala! Last year I thought I had struck gold when I bit into a nice crisp juicy Gala. "YES! I THINK I HAVE STRUCK GOLD!!!" I yelled. But alas, this was but fool's gold. A number of times I've sunk my teeth into a gala only to find that its meat was rather soft. "THIS IS NOT ACCEPTABLE!" I yelled.

Around Christmas however things in my household have changed drastically, since I've introduced the British Columbian-born Ambrosia. Every Ambrosia is CRISP! Each one is JUICY! Each one is SWEET but not too sweet like a Delicious (which is for novice apple eaters and children). I should also mention however that a friend Clint Butler introduced me to a new line of Spartan apples (these ones are yellow) that his mother-in-law traffics and I have to say, MMMMMMMMMM. These were fantastic but unfortunately, they're not available in stores as of the time of this post (correct me if I'm wrong, Clint). The downside to these Spartans were that they were not organic and it should be made seriously clear that I ONLY EAT ORGANIC APPLES.

So if you're in the market for a new apple, go and do yourself a major "flavour" and bite into a crisp, sweet, juicy Ambrosia.

1 comment:

CAMacKinnon said...

I was a big fan of Cameo apples, but they disappeared off the Superstore shelves awhile back. If you can find them, give 'em a try.